The ChaLEAN Extreme basic program comes with two great cardio workouts, Burn Intervals and Burn It Off. Both of these workouts are great, I’m especially fond of Burn Intervals. But being a firm believer in cardio, and always wanting to keep things interesting, I decided to invest in the ChaLEAN Extreme Deluxe DVD. I know this can be confusing, which ChaLEAN program do I need? If you are looking to buy a ChaLEAN program, and have yet to buy, take a look at this article I wrote about choosing the best ChaLEAN Extreme program. This will explain what comes with each package, and which one is right for you! Personally, I started with the basic program, and then upgraded to the ChaLEAN Extreme Deluxe DVD.
So, let me say, if you don’t have the Deluxe DVD, get one. If you want variety, and if you want a cardio workout that is quick and effective, you need this one, it’s a must have. I take cardio seriously, and I had my doubts that I would get a good workout in 30 minutes, but you will be surprised. The dvd actually has three workouts. Two cardio routines and one ab routine. After doing the Fat Burn Challenge, I am equally excited to try the other two and will review them also. (Stay tuned or subscribe to the blog)
Here are the details. The program is 32 minutes and 30 seconds. During this time, I burned 436 calories, with an average heart rate of 151, with my highest heart rate hitting 179! You start off the program with the traditional ChaLEAN Extreme warm up for just under 5 minutes. For some strange reason this morning, I came into this workout with explosive energy. I was determined to work hard, and burn some calories. I didn’t want to be disappointed at the end of 30 minutes, thinking I didn’t work hard enough. At the end of 30 minutes, there was no question, I got something accomplished! So the warm up was done, and you move straight into the first of 12 moves. Some of the exercises below have names that are fairly self explanatory, and I will move quickly past those.
1. Jump rope drills, 2 minutes.
2. Jumping Jack Drills, 3 minutes.
3. Plyo Lunges, 2 minutes 25 seconds. This consists of stepping into deep lunges, the deeper the better. I always strive to get my lead leg into a 90 degree angle to the floor. Nice and deep, and the deeper, the harder it is!
30 second break. Move around, but don’t sit. Get a drink of water, and catch your breath.
4. HIT, 1 minute 12 seconds. This was hard, and FUN. Can you have FUN in a cardio workout? You bet. Think football practice. You get in a squat stance, and start running in place. Chalene calls out left, right, and HIT. You either move in the direction she calls, or on the HIT, you drop to the ground in a push up stance, jump up, and keep running. This one will get the blood moving, as if it wasn’t already!
5. Plyo sculpting, with or without the toner band, 3 minutes. This move has you side stepping side to side, and Chalene alternates with a standing thigh toning exercise. So you lunge side to side, then stop and raise one leg to the side working the thighs. Then back to lunges etc.
6. Modified Burpee, 1 minute. This move has you in a wide stance, you drop to a push up and then stand back up. You do 16 total burpees.
30 second break. Don’t sit!
7. Moving Prisoner Lunges, 2 minutes. You step forward to a lunge, then step to the right (3 o’clock) for a second lunge. Then back to the front for another lunge, and continue. This move is modified by moving your hands from your hips during the lunges, to behind your head, and then straight up in the air. Then you’ll switch sides and do the opposite leg.
8. Crosses and Zig Zags, 2 minutes. This is true Turbo Jam style. Cross punches, mixed in with zig zags (for the obliques), and some knee lifts. Great stuff!
9. Squats/Sumo, 1 minute 24 seconds. You alternate from a sumo squat to a regular squat. Jumping in and out.
10. Giant Leaps, 2 minutes 30 seconds. Leaping from side to side.
11. Squats, 1 minute 30 seconds. Think football again. You go from a regular squat to a 3 point football stance, back to the squat, continue to football stance etc.
12. Lateral Lunges, 1 minute 30 seconds. From a wide sumo squat, you will lunge to one side, then reach up to the sky, then repeat, then switch legs.
You made it to the cool down which is 3 minutes.
I can not say enough, how much I love this workout. It will be a favorite for quite some time! If you are short on time, and need a quick cardio workout that will do the job of a longer 45 minute to 1 hour workout, get this one and get going! Remember you will need the Deluxe DVD.
Thank you again for reading my ChaLEAN Extreme Reviews. Please subscribe if you haven’t already, and I invite you to post your own comments as well. We’re in this together, eating right, getting in shape, staying in shape. Stay positive, stay strong. See you in the next review.